I've been a bit disappointed by the beautiful 6' mustard yellow sunflower garden (planted for privacy) that seem to be slowly fading away.... Today I stop to examine one of them and realize... WHAT?!?!! The whole of the animal kingdom are harvesting the seeds!!!

...jerks.

So, I did what all smart, first-time sunflower growers do...ripped out my phone and googled it! Turns out, sunflower harvesting is much easier than I thought. I feel like I always screw things up (burn food, kill flowers...you know, the normal stuff), but w/each passing bit of knowledge gained and put into my "done" pile, the more confident I get...which pushes me to do more & more! Okay... done with the deep stuff for now.

     Step 1:     When wilty/deathly looking - decapitate a couple inches down the neck

Totally felt like Morticia


     Step 2:     When seeds are rippedy ripe - RUB them out!


White blob in background is my dog, Estelle
     Step 3:     DRY, then store the seeds... YAY! Roasting and eating on the way!

No, I'm no expert, but if you feel you need more info - go find one! 😉

See ya!
Janelle

Comments

Popular Posts